PHOENIX — Hispanic Arizona legislators laid out their goals for the year on Tuesday.
Members of the Latino Caucus held a press conference to announce that child welfare is the top priority in the legislature this year after Child Protective Services failed to investigate thousands of child abuse cases.
“The children of Arizona are our most vulnerable population. Plain and simple, it is our job to protect them,” said State Senator Anna Tovar. “Sadly, in this instance, we failed miserably, and it’s time to make this right.”
Tovar said she’s encouraged by Gov. Brewer’s plan to replace CPS with a cabinet-level agency but that she wants to hear more details of the plan.
Another top issue will be immigration.
Tovar and the other Caucus members want the state to approve driver’s licenses for people who were illegally brought into the country as children.
“They should be free to drive to a job that contributes to our economy and pay in-state tuition, should they pursue a higher education,” Tovar said.
Caucus members said they plan to push the federal government for comprehensive immigration reform and that they’ll block any attempt to overturn Arizona’s Medicaid program.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes