PHOENIX — Hispanic Arizona legislators laid out their goals for the year on Tuesday.
Members of the Latino Caucus held a press conference to announce that child welfare is the top priority in the legislature this year after Child Protective Services failed to investigate thousands of child abuse cases.
“The children of Arizona are our most vulnerable population. Plain and simple, it is our job to protect them,” said State Senator Anna Tovar. “Sadly, in this instance, we failed miserably, and it’s time to make this right.”
Tovar said she’s encouraged by Gov. Brewer’s plan to replace CPS with a cabinet-level agency but that she wants to hear more details of the plan.
Another top issue will be immigration.
Tovar and the other Caucus members want the state to approve driver’s licenses for people who were illegally brought into the country as children.
“They should be free to drive to a job that contributes to our economy and pay in-state tuition, should they pursue a higher education,” Tovar said.
Caucus members said they plan to push the federal government for comprehensive immigration reform and that they’ll block any attempt to overturn Arizona’s Medicaid program.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy