PHOENIX — Valley food banks are worried about potential cuts to food assistance programs during a seasonably slow donation time.
“When things like that happen to people who are living in poverty, they have no choice to but go to food banks to get the food they need,” said Jerry Brown of St. Mary’s Food Bank.
According to statistics provided by St. Mary’s Food Bank, more than one in four children, one in five Arizonans, and one in seven seniors in Arizona live in poverty.
Arizona’s hunger rates are higher than national averages about 19.1 of Arizonans are food insecure, compared to 16.4 percent nationally. Nearly 30 percent of Arizonan children face hunger, compared to 22.4 percent nationally.
Arizona ranks third in the country for high child food insecurity rates, behind only New Mexico and D.C., with 478,420 children facing hunger on a daily basis.
Fortunately, the 2013 holiday season proved that Valley residents are generous. St. Mary’s Food Bank was able to build a reserve of food for the hungry to last through the first quarter of 2014, but residents are asked to provide any assistance with non-perishable food items in order to continue the support of the Valley’s needy into the spring and summer months.
Valley residents are also encouraged to donate citrus and fresh vegetables during the Fifth Annual Super Citrus Saturday on Jan. 25. For more information, click here.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets