PHOENIX — New numbers from the Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona show child fatalities related to water incidents were down 50 percent in 2013.
In Maricopa County, 43 people died in drowning incidents. Ten of them were children, four were teens and 29 were adults.
“We are very excited because last year, we had 20 child deaths and 40 adult fatalities,” said Lori Schmidt, President of the Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona, of the news in the decrease in drownings.
In all, Schmidt said it was some of the lowest numbers her agency has seen since 2000.
There is no specific way to attribute the drop in drowning deaths in Maricopa County, explained Schmidt, but she said including adults in prevention messages has made a difference.
“So that people understand that are not just children who are drowning,” she said.
Similarly, Schmidt said they’ve expanded their message to also include other bodies of water as potential hazards, aside from pools.
In recent years, the Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona has taken steps to educate communities of the dangers of drowning. They include the Water SMART Babies program, which encourages parents to include babies in water classes before they turn 1. Events and campaigns, such as Drowning Impact Awareness Month in August have potentially also contributed to the decrease in numbers.
“Drownings are 100 percent preventable,” Schmidt said, adding that she hopes the positive trend of less deaths from water-related incidents continues.
The DPCA stresses three key points families should always keep in mind: Block access to water hazards, watch each other around water and learn CPR.
For more information about the DPCA, click here.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets