Robert Shelton has resigned as the executive director of the Fiesta Bowl.
The news comes less than a month after Shelton helped secure the national championship game for the Fiesta Bowl in 2016. The bowl will also be a member of the College Football Playoff and host a semifinal game every three years.
“I think this is a great transition point for the Fiesta Bowl,” Shelton said in a statement. “I thank the Fiesta Bowl’s 2,900 volunteers, including the Board of Directors, for the opportunity to help restore this wonderful community institution.”
Shelton was hired from the University of Arizona, where he was the president, in June 2011 after a scandal left the bowl without top leadership.
“He was the ideal person at a crucial time in our history and we are deeply grateful for his contributions,” Fiesta Bowl Board Chairman Brian Hall said. “He has done a tremendous job setting us up for the new playoff system and it is now the Board’s job to take the lead in preparing our organization to best meet the future.”
Shelton will return to his professional roots as President of Tucson-based Research Corporation for Science Advancement.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy