PHOENIX — Arizona is falling behind other states in promoting tourism, said an industry spokeswoman.
Arizona faces heavy competition from California, Texas and Las Vegas when it comes to attracting tourism, said Kristen Jarnagin with the Arizona Lodging and Tourism Association. The Golden State and Lone Star State are spending a combined $100 million dollars to show off their states while Arizona is shelling out $7 million, she said.
Jarnigan would like to see the governor boost that in the budget which is expected to be released Friday.
“Ideally we would like to have $12 million to work with. We will never be on the same level with the other states but it would help up be competitive,” Jarnagin said. “Florida spends $75 million and Las Vegas $100 million to attract visitors each year. Our numbers show Arizona gets $8 in return for every dollar spent to promote the state.”
Tourism pumps almost $3 billion into the state’s economy each year and 200,000 jobs are directly tied to tourism.
Jarnagin said that money is especially important for smaller communities such as Bisbee and Jerome and the growing winemaking industry in Sonoita. She added that places which are well-known by Arizonans could become much bigger on a national and worldwide scale with more promotion.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.