PHOENIX — Arizona is falling behind other states in promoting tourism, said an industry spokeswoman.
Arizona faces heavy competition from California, Texas and Las Vegas when it comes to attracting tourism, said Kristen Jarnagin with the Arizona Lodging and Tourism Association. The Golden State and Lone Star State are spending a combined $100 million dollars to show off their states while Arizona is shelling out $7 million, she said.
Jarnigan would like to see the governor boost that in the budget which is expected to be released Friday.
“Ideally we would like to have $12 million to work with. We will never be on the same level with the other states but it would help up be competitive,” Jarnagin said. “Florida spends $75 million and Las Vegas $100 million to attract visitors each year. Our numbers show Arizona gets $8 in return for every dollar spent to promote the state.”
Tourism pumps almost $3 billion into the state’s economy each year and 200,000 jobs are directly tied to tourism.
Jarnagin said that money is especially important for smaller communities such as Bisbee and Jerome and the growing winemaking industry in Sonoita. She added that places which are well-known by Arizonans could become much bigger on a national and worldwide scale with more promotion.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments