Arrests have been made in an organized vehicle theft operation working out of Tempe and Mesa.
In December 2013, the Arizona Auto Theft Authority Task Force (AATA) and the Department of Public Safety “identified Benjamin Jaco Appell, 38, as a key player during the investigation,” according to a press release.
Both organizations joined forces with the Mesa Police Department, which was also investigating Appell on vehicle theft suspicions, and a search warrant was issued for Appell on Jan. 3, 2014.
Appell was arrested and booked on several counts of transportation theft, conspiracy, trafficking in stolen property and drug sales.
During the investigation, detectives also linked Mario Esteban Jimenez, 28, to Appell, after conducting surveillance operations on him.
After crashing a stolen vehicle and attempting to then flee on foot to evade the authorities, Jimenez was arrested and booked on similar charges.
To date, the two men have stolen over 50 import vehicles, mainly Hondas and Nissans, near the Mesa/Tempe border, authorities said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon