PHOENIX — Several cars formerly owned by celebrities are hitting the auction block at this year’s Barrett-Jackson event in Scottsdale, and one of those is a 1963 Chevrolet Impala convertible that belonged to Los Angeles Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant.
GM Authority says the vehicle received several upgrades that stylishly brought it into the 21st century.
The custom two-door sedan, built by famed Los Angeles-based automotive shop West Coast Customs (made famous by the show “Pimp My Ride”), was commissioned by Bryant’s wife and given to him as a Christmas gift in 2006. The Impala was sand blasted down to bare metal and repainted with a special purple/royal blue multi-coat paint finish, while the original 327 small block was disassembled and rebuilt with Edelbrock headers and other billet accessories.
The convertible also was outfitted with a power-disc brake and full hydraulic suspension setup, and the seats were reupholstered with white leather and crystal studs.
The car went on sale on eBay in September, but no one took the offer at an asking price of $125,000.
It will be auctioned off on Friday at the Barrett-Jackson event. The Scottsdale auction ends Sunday.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food