PHOENIX — Several cars formerly owned by celebrities are hitting the auction block at this year’s Barrett-Jackson event in Scottsdale, and one of those is a 1963 Chevrolet Impala convertible that belonged to Los Angeles Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant.
GM Authority says the vehicle received several upgrades that stylishly brought it into the 21st century.
The custom two-door sedan, built by famed Los Angeles-based automotive shop West Coast Customs (made famous by the show “Pimp My Ride”), was commissioned by Bryant’s wife and given to him as a Christmas gift in 2006. The Impala was sand blasted down to bare metal and repainted with a special purple/royal blue multi-coat paint finish, while the original 327 small block was disassembled and rebuilt with Edelbrock headers and other billet accessories.
The convertible also was outfitted with a power-disc brake and full hydraulic suspension setup, and the seats were reupholstered with white leather and crystal studs.
The car went on sale on eBay in September, but no one took the offer at an asking price of $125,000.
It will be auctioned off on Friday at the Barrett-Jackson event. The Scottsdale auction ends Sunday.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night