PHOENIX — City council members are scheduled to discuss the final design deal on the Scottsdale Museum of the West on Tuesday.
The city would pay up to $11,360,000 to build the two-story museum at the northwest corner of Marshall Way at First Street. Scottsdale would own the museum while a private group would run it.
The 43,000 square foot museum will display exhibits focused on the meeting of the “Old West with the New West.” Supporters say it will boost tourism in the Gallery and Old Town Districts.
The council meeting begins at 5 p.m. at City Hall Kiva Forum, 3939 N. Drinkwater Blvd., Scottsdale.
According to the city’s website, the museum and exhibition venue will:
• Become a world-renowned museum displaying cultural and artistic artifacts and exhibits displaying the meeting of the “Old West with the New West”;
• Provide an enriched visitor attraction that will expand the current number of tourists visiting Scottsdale, thereby expanding Scottsdale’s tourism industry;
• Provide an additional venue for tourists and visitors already enjoying Scottsdale and give them another cultural opportunity;
• Augment and support an already world-renowned fine arts district;
• Grow into a focal point for an enriched cultural center for the arts district;
• Energize and enrich an area of the city, now abandoned, as a transit center underutilized as a public venue;
• Provide synergy with the Scottsdale Artist School, offering opportunities for collaboration in educational activities and programs;
• Augment and support an already rich and diverse, mixed-use residential and retail area.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development