PHOENIX — City council members are scheduled to discuss the final design deal on the Scottsdale Museum of the West on Tuesday.
The city would pay up to $11,360,000 to build the two-story museum at the northwest corner of Marshall Way at First Street. Scottsdale would own the museum while a private group would run it.
The 43,000 square foot museum will display exhibits focused on the meeting of the “Old West with the New West.” Supporters say it will boost tourism in the Gallery and Old Town Districts.
The council meeting begins at 5 p.m. at City Hall Kiva Forum, 3939 N. Drinkwater Blvd., Scottsdale.
According to the city’s website, the museum and exhibition venue will:
• Become a world-renowned museum displaying cultural and artistic artifacts and exhibits displaying the meeting of the “Old West with the New West”;
• Provide an enriched visitor attraction that will expand the current number of tourists visiting Scottsdale, thereby expanding Scottsdale’s tourism industry;
• Provide an additional venue for tourists and visitors already enjoying Scottsdale and give them another cultural opportunity;
• Augment and support an already world-renowned fine arts district;
• Grow into a focal point for an enriched cultural center for the arts district;
• Energize and enrich an area of the city, now abandoned, as a transit center underutilized as a public venue;
• Provide synergy with the Scottsdale Artist School, offering opportunities for collaboration in educational activities and programs;
• Augment and support an already rich and diverse, mixed-use residential and retail area.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.