PHOENIX — Two months after a typhoon devastated the Philippines, Glen and Julie Bradley are preparing to help.
The husband and wife from Lakeside, Ariz. are part of a six-person Red Cross team that sets up emergency Internet, phone and radio communications.
“There’s usually a big concern and emphasis when these things first happen and a lack of understanding that they go on,” said Glen.
According to the Grand Canyon Chapter, Bradley was among the first dozen Red Cross volunteers on the ground after Typhoon Haiyan killed 6,000 people and displaced over four million.
“It was difficult in that we had such a wide area,” he said. “We had health units located on tips of one island and then relief units or water and sanitation units located on other islands and we had to be able to service all of them and that made it pretty difficult. Plus, a lack of electricity and any kind of infrastructure support for telecommunications made it hard.”
Bradley expects to return to the Philippines soon and to take along his wife and fellow volunteer, Julie. She expects to help with economic recovery through a Red Cross program called Cash Transfer.
“They empower the family and reignite the supply chain and the local markets by issuing micro-grants to families in order to rebuild their homes or to help them plant crops for the coming season and help them get back on their feet,” she said. “It’s not a large amount of money, but it’s enough to get them started.”
The Bradleys started volunteering in 2005 after they retired, sailed around the world and felt compelled to give back.
“We’re so fortunate in so many ways,” Glen said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them