PHOENIX — Two months after a typhoon devastated the Philippines, Glen and Julie Bradley are preparing to help.
The husband and wife from Lakeside, Ariz. are part of a six-person Red Cross team that sets up emergency Internet, phone and radio communications.
“There’s usually a big concern and emphasis when these things first happen and a lack of understanding that they go on,” said Glen.
According to the Grand Canyon Chapter, Bradley was among the first dozen Red Cross volunteers on the ground after Typhoon Haiyan killed 6,000 people and displaced over four million.
“It was difficult in that we had such a wide area,” he said. “We had health units located on tips of one island and then relief units or water and sanitation units located on other islands and we had to be able to service all of them and that made it pretty difficult. Plus, a lack of electricity and any kind of infrastructure support for telecommunications made it hard.”
Bradley expects to return to the Philippines soon and to take along his wife and fellow volunteer, Julie. She expects to help with economic recovery through a Red Cross program called Cash Transfer.
“They empower the family and reignite the supply chain and the local markets by issuing micro-grants to families in order to rebuild their homes or to help them plant crops for the coming season and help them get back on their feet,” she said. “It’s not a large amount of money, but it’s enough to get them started.”
The Bradleys started volunteering in 2005 after they retired, sailed around the world and felt compelled to give back.
“We’re so fortunate in so many ways,” Glen said.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas