PHOENIX — There’s some bad news if you’re trying to sell your home. According to a new report from ASU, the Valley housing market is stuck in neutral.
“The market has gone pretty quiet compared with the previous two years,” said Mike Orr, director of the Center for Real Estate Theory and Practice at the W.P. Carey School of Business.
According to the report, Phoenix-area home prices have been increasing since they hit a low point in September 2011, but have recently slowed.
The median price for a single-family home went up 23 percent from November 2012 to this past November. During the same period, however, sales of single-family homes dropped 27 percent.
The number of completed foreclosures also fell 50 percent, with many homes reverting back to the bank instead of being sold at auction.
Orr said many potential home buyers and investors in Arizona were reluctant to commit, possibly because of the government shutdown and the threat of the U.S. defaulting on its credit.
The number of residential properties being purchased by investors was at 20.2 percent, down from the peak of 39.7 percent in July of 2012.
“If prices are going up then investors are more likely to shop elsewhere,” said Orr. “Many of them are not confined to just Phoenix, so they’ll go to another area where there’s more supply and competition.”
In a neutral housing market, Orr said proper marketing is crucial for sellers to be successful. He recommends consulting an experienced realtor who can give advice on what buyers are looking for.
“Many people find it very difficult to see their home through someone else’s eyes,” he said.
The Phoenix housing market has historically been unpredictable, but Orr said things could pick up again in 2014.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths