Nineteen-year-old Bailey Cunningham has a dream not typical of a college-aged student.
The Flagstaff teen wants to go to Mars — a dream she’s one step closer to actually making into a reality.
According to AZFamily.com, Cunningham was one of the more than 200,000 people that applied to Mars One’s program — which plans to plans to take four-person crews to start settlements on the planet every two years starting in 2024.
But that number is now down to 1,058 people, and as Cunningham learned last week, she’s one of them.
“It seemed like something I would be interested in because I’m into sci-fi, outer space, all of that,” Cunningham told AZFamily.com
Cunningham, a student at the Berklee College of Music in Boston, told the non-profit foundation in her application video that she wants to be the first composer and musician on Mars.
To make that happen, the 19-year-old will have to first survive both the physical assessment and reality television show phase — which will cut the number down to 40 and four applicants respectively.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again