Nineteen-year-old Bailey Cunningham has a dream not typical of a college-aged student.
The Flagstaff teen wants to go to Mars — a dream she’s one step closer to actually making into a reality.
According to AZFamily.com, Cunningham was one of the more than 200,000 people that applied to Mars One’s program — which plans to plans to take four-person crews to start settlements on the planet every two years starting in 2024.
But that number is now down to 1,058 people, and as Cunningham learned last week, she’s one of them.
“It seemed like something I would be interested in because I’m into sci-fi, outer space, all of that,” Cunningham told AZFamily.com
Cunningham, a student at the Berklee College of Music in Boston, told the non-profit foundation in her application video that she wants to be the first composer and musician on Mars.
To make that happen, the 19-year-old will have to first survive both the physical assessment and reality television show phase — which will cut the number down to 40 and four applicants respectively.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night