PHOENIX — Calling all high school artists: Valley Metro is asking students around the metro Phoenix area to come up with original artwork to get people excited about public transportation.
The winning design will be displayed as a transit wrap and featured on a light rail train and city bus for a year.
“Last year’s theme was ‘Do the Ride Thing,’ so we’re looking for something that’s creative and outside of the box that really highlights transit in a positive way,” said Melissa Quillard of Valley Metro.
Quillard said the contest is part of a broader outreach effort to spread awareness about the benefits of public transportation. The Valley’s top transit agency is especially interested in attracting younger commuters, including students.
“We are seeing a lot more teens and a lot more students utilizing light rail and buses to get to and from school and to get around town,” she said. “We want to continue to encourage that.”
The contest runs until Feb. 14. For more information, visit Valley Metro’s website.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night