PHOENIX — The Phoenix Fire Department and the state’s Department of Public Safety held an event Friday morning to highlight the importance of properly installing child safety seats.
Earlier this month three children were ejected from a car because they were not buckled in correctly. Those children were fortunate to survive.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Robert Johnson said many parents buy a child safety seat, read the directions before installing the seat and think the job is done. Johnson said about 7 out of every 10 parents don’t install the seats right. He has seen the result of that on many emergency calls.
“The most common mistake I see is that the seat is just not installed tight enough in the vehicle. You can overtighten it but in most cases it’s just not tight enough,” he said.
Parents who need help installing the seat can call 602-495-KIDS. A firefighter will made available to install the child safety seat properly.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier