PHOENIX — The Phoenix Fire Department and the state’s Department of Public Safety held an event Friday morning to highlight the importance of properly installing child safety seats.
Earlier this month three children were ejected from a car because they were not buckled in correctly. Those children were fortunate to survive.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Robert Johnson said many parents buy a child safety seat, read the directions before installing the seat and think the job is done. Johnson said about 7 out of every 10 parents don’t install the seats right. He has seen the result of that on many emergency calls.
“The most common mistake I see is that the seat is just not installed tight enough in the vehicle. You can overtighten it but in most cases it’s just not tight enough,” he said.
Parents who need help installing the seat can call 602-495-KIDS. A firefighter will made available to install the child safety seat properly.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night