PHOENIX — A friendly competition between Salt Lake City and Phoenix is over and both cities achieved their goal to end chronic homelessness among military veterans.
Phoenix said it reached that goal in mid-December and now Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker said his Utah city has also accomplished that task. Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton gave his fellow mayor kudos.
“If they say they’ve tied us that’s fine with me. The goal is to help veterans on the street in Phoenix and across the country. I’m proud of what Salt Lake City has accomplished,” he said.
In early November there were 56 homeless veterans on the streets of Phoenix but a $100,000 allocation of funds enabled the city to house them all.
Stanton said Phoenix needs to “up its game” and put an end to chronic homelessness for everyone.
According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, veteran homelessness has declined by 24 percent nationally since 2010 but there are still almost 58,000 homeless veterans nationwide.
Phoenix used more than $6.5 million in federal grants and $1.8 million in city money to combat homelessness in 2013.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.