PHOENIX — A friendly competition between Salt Lake City and Phoenix is over and both cities achieved their goal to end chronic homelessness among military veterans.
Phoenix said it reached that goal in mid-December and now Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker said his Utah city has also accomplished that task. Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton gave his fellow mayor kudos.
“If they say they’ve tied us that’s fine with me. The goal is to help veterans on the street in Phoenix and across the country. I’m proud of what Salt Lake City has accomplished,” he said.
In early November there were 56 homeless veterans on the streets of Phoenix but a $100,000 allocation of funds enabled the city to house them all.
Stanton said Phoenix needs to “up its game” and put an end to chronic homelessness for everyone.
According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, veteran homelessness has declined by 24 percent nationally since 2010 but there are still almost 58,000 homeless veterans nationwide.
Phoenix used more than $6.5 million in federal grants and $1.8 million in city money to combat homelessness in 2013.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night