PHOENIX — Soon-to-be former Mesa Mayor Scott Smith said he is focusing on two areas when it comes to his run for Arizona governor: the economy and education.
Smith told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Thursday that a great education program is key to igniting the state’s economy.
“We can never reach the level and the goals we need to create great jobs and a healthy economy without world-class education,” he said.
Smith said Arizona has dropped the ball and has not been focused enough on education. And while Arizona does have a myriad of problems, Smith said there is one big step it can take to resolve a lot of issues.
“If you have a healthy economy that creates great jobs, a lot of the other problems take care of themselves,” he said.
However, one of the problems immune to that theory is the on-going situation within Arizona’s Child Protective Services.
“Problems like CPS have got to be taken seriously and got to be solved,” Smith said, adding that he hopes there is a fix in the works by the time he would take office, should he be elected.
Despite filing his paperwork Thursday, Smith said the plan when he was elected mayor was not to make a run for governor.
“That was never the long-term plan. It just sort of evolved.”
Smith said he loves his job as mayor of Mesa and would “stay another 20 years” if he could.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas