PHOENIX — Soon-to-be former Mesa Mayor Scott Smith said he is focusing on two areas when it comes to his run for Arizona governor: the economy and education.
Smith told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Thursday that a great education program is key to igniting the state’s economy.
“We can never reach the level and the goals we need to create great jobs and a healthy economy without world-class education,” he said.
Smith said Arizona has dropped the ball and has not been focused enough on education. And while Arizona does have a myriad of problems, Smith said there is one big step it can take to resolve a lot of issues.
“If you have a healthy economy that creates great jobs, a lot of the other problems take care of themselves,” he said.
However, one of the problems immune to that theory is the on-going situation within Arizona’s Child Protective Services.
“Problems like CPS have got to be taken seriously and got to be solved,” Smith said, adding that he hopes there is a fix in the works by the time he would take office, should he be elected.
Despite filing his paperwork Thursday, Smith said the plan when he was elected mayor was not to make a run for governor.
“That was never the long-term plan. It just sort of evolved.”
Smith said he loves his job as mayor of Mesa and would “stay another 20 years” if he could.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night