PHOENIX — The family of a Tempe man who was badly injured in a hit-and-run is calling for whomever is responsible to step forward.
“I would definitely like to know who did this, and left my nephew, Dustin, on the side of the road for dead,” said Christine Simon-Blackmore, the aunt who said she raised the victim. “It’s not right. We’re just asking for help to find the driver of this vehicle.”
Dustin Kalkbrenner, 24, was struck on Dec. 27 on University Drive and Ash Avenue. Despite the incident happening at 3 p.m. in a busy intersection, police have no leads.
“We have surveillance video that shows there was a passenger in the vehicle and we’re confident that either the passenger or the driver has mentioned this accident to someone else,” said Tempe Police Sgt. Michael Pooley. “We’re hoping that somebody will be able to come out and give us some information.”
Police have surveillance video that shows Dustin Kalkbrenner riding his skateboard and also the suspect vehicle, a silver Nissan Xterra, moments before the accident.
“He was a very happy child growing up, happy teenager, happy adult…he just wanted to appease everybody,” said Simon-Blackmore. “He would give you the shirt off his back or his last dollar. Anything to make your day better.”
Anyone with information on the hit-and-run is asked to call the Tempe Police Department at (480 )350-8311 or Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths