PHOENIX — Some New Year’s resolutions are harder to keep than others. One that should be at the top of your list this 2014 is keeping your loved ones safe, according to a Mesa Fire Department official.
“Make it a resolution to look around your home to start evaluating some of the things this year to pay attention to,” said Mesa Fire Capt. Forrest Smith.
He said the first step is checking that every fire detector in your house works properly.
“Have you had that smoke detector that you never changed the battery? When you cook it keeps going off and so you decide to take the battery out and never put it back?”
Smith has responded to a fire where that was the case and the homeowner was awakened by a knock on the door by the fire department instead of a fire detector.
Another simple thing to do to protect your home from fires is keeping your yard neat. That includes trimming overgrown trees, and bushes maintained.
“Trees and dried material create what you call ladder fuels,” Smith said. “If I have exposed a flame source to something in my yard, that flame could spread into my house.”
Equally important is to put a fence up around your pool if you have children. In 2013, one child under the age of six died from a drowning. Though the number is significantly lower than previous years, Smith said one is always too many.
Another thing to consider is installing carbon monoxide detectors or servicing your furnace.
Learning CPR can also help save those around you in case of an emergency. Even if it’s just hands-only CPR, Smith encouraged parents to stay up to date with available resources that can keep their families safe.
The Mesa Fire Department has a variety of resources on their website. For more information, click here.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food