Phoenix’s Echo Canyon on Camelback Mountain will reopen at sunrise on Jan. 15, according to the city’s parks and recreation department.
After being closed for nearly a year, the renovated area will feature increased parking, a permanent restroom and a rerouted trail to eliminate badly warn sections. Other additions include a shade ramada and chilled water fountains, improved traffic flow through entrances and 15 new bike racks.
The project, funded through the Phoenix Parks and Preserve Initiative, has cost $4.34 million to date.
“Echo Canyon hiking is back and better than ever for valley residents and visitors who love to hike through and view our beautiful desert and mountain landscape,” Mayor Greg Stanton said in a press release. “Attractions like this make our city a great place to live, visit and a great example of the value of preserving heritage and nature.”
Echo Canyon will be hiker-only for the first six months because of pent-up demand and expected large crowds.
“The city invested over $4 million on improvements and renovations for the park,” Councilman Sal DiCiccio said. “These renovations were critical for the preservation of Camelback Mountain. We’ve pushed this for a very long time and it’s great we were able to get it done.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon