TEMPE, Ariz. — A Tempe medical school officially kicked off an expansion on Wednesday.
Ground was broken on a new, 47,000-square-foot building for the Southwest College Of Naturopathic Medicine.
“We’re bursting at the seems. We need more classroom space,” said SCNM CEO Paul Mittman, adding that the building will be “one that will serve the public and the school for the next 10, 20, 30 years.”
The school’s enrollment has jumped nearly 60 percent since 2008.
In addition to the classrooms, the new $9.5-million facility near Broadway Road and the Loop 101 will feature a naturopathic pain center, a cafe and a demonstration kitchen where the public can learn to cook healthy meals. It also will have a larger library than the school has now and it will be open to the public.
The school also has future plans to add new degree programs and community classes to match what it calls “the growing interest in naturopathic medicine.”
The new building is scheduled to open in September.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain