TEMPE, Ariz. — A Tempe medical school officially kicked off an expansion on Wednesday.
Ground was broken on a new, 47,000-square-foot building for the Southwest College Of Naturopathic Medicine.
“We’re bursting at the seems. We need more classroom space,” said SCNM CEO Paul Mittman, adding that the building will be “one that will serve the public and the school for the next 10, 20, 30 years.”
The school’s enrollment has jumped nearly 60 percent since 2008.
In addition to the classrooms, the new $9.5-million facility near Broadway Road and the Loop 101 will feature a naturopathic pain center, a cafe and a demonstration kitchen where the public can learn to cook healthy meals. It also will have a larger library than the school has now and it will be open to the public.
The school also has future plans to add new degree programs and community classes to match what it calls “the growing interest in naturopathic medicine.”
The new building is scheduled to open in September.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas