TEMPE, Ariz. — A Tempe medical school officially kicked off an expansion on Wednesday.
Ground was broken on a new, 47,000-square-foot building for the Southwest College Of Naturopathic Medicine.
“We’re bursting at the seems. We need more classroom space,” said SCNM CEO Paul Mittman, adding that the building will be “one that will serve the public and the school for the next 10, 20, 30 years.”
The school’s enrollment has jumped nearly 60 percent since 2008.
In addition to the classrooms, the new $9.5-million facility near Broadway Road and the Loop 101 will feature a naturopathic pain center, a cafe and a demonstration kitchen where the public can learn to cook healthy meals. It also will have a larger library than the school has now and it will be open to the public.
The school also has future plans to add new degree programs and community classes to match what it calls “the growing interest in naturopathic medicine.”
The new building is scheduled to open in September.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development