PHOENIX — Solar power panels atop two downtown Phoenix parking garages were unveiled Wednesday.
The sun will power approximately 32 percent of the garages energy needs. Both are located near the intersection of Washington and Adams streets.
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Gina McCarthy was on hand for Wednesday’s dedication ceremony and said the city is a model for the nation.
“We’re here to celebrate that success and spread the word to other municipalities that Phoenix has done well.”
With the new panels installed, the city now has more than 15.25 megawatts of installed solar capacity at 26 facilities, which can power more than 3,000 Valley homes.
Mayor Greg Stanton said doing right by the environment is doing right by future generations.
“It also does right by our economy with the energy savings and shows we’re serious about building the right kind of jobs.”
Stanton also announced that it’s his goal to cut greenhouse gas emissions in Phoenix 15 percent by next year.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths