PHOENIX — Solar power panels atop two downtown Phoenix parking garages were unveiled Wednesday.
The sun will power approximately 32 percent of the garages energy needs. Both are located near the intersection of Washington and Adams streets.
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Gina McCarthy was on hand for Wednesday’s dedication ceremony and said the city is a model for the nation.
“We’re here to celebrate that success and spread the word to other municipalities that Phoenix has done well.”
With the new panels installed, the city now has more than 15.25 megawatts of installed solar capacity at 26 facilities, which can power more than 3,000 Valley homes.
Mayor Greg Stanton said doing right by the environment is doing right by future generations.
“It also does right by our economy with the energy savings and shows we’re serious about building the right kind of jobs.”
Stanton also announced that it’s his goal to cut greenhouse gas emissions in Phoenix 15 percent by next year.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes