PHOENIX — Solar power panels atop two downtown Phoenix parking garages were unveiled Wednesday.
The sun will power approximately 32 percent of the garages energy needs. Both are located near the intersection of Washington and Adams streets.
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Gina McCarthy was on hand for Wednesday’s dedication ceremony and said the city is a model for the nation.
“We’re here to celebrate that success and spread the word to other municipalities that Phoenix has done well.”
With the new panels installed, the city now has more than 15.25 megawatts of installed solar capacity at 26 facilities, which can power more than 3,000 Valley homes.
Mayor Greg Stanton said doing right by the environment is doing right by future generations.
“It also does right by our economy with the energy savings and shows we’re serious about building the right kind of jobs.”
Stanton also announced that it’s his goal to cut greenhouse gas emissions in Phoenix 15 percent by next year.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments