PHOENIX — Solar power panels atop two downtown Phoenix parking garages were unveiled Wednesday.
The sun will power approximately 32 percent of the garages energy needs. Both are located near the intersection of Washington and Adams streets.
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Gina McCarthy was on hand for Wednesday’s dedication ceremony and said the city is a model for the nation.
“We’re here to celebrate that success and spread the word to other municipalities that Phoenix has done well.”
With the new panels installed, the city now has more than 15.25 megawatts of installed solar capacity at 26 facilities, which can power more than 3,000 Valley homes.
Mayor Greg Stanton said doing right by the environment is doing right by future generations.
“It also does right by our economy with the energy savings and shows we’re serious about building the right kind of jobs.”
Stanton also announced that it’s his goal to cut greenhouse gas emissions in Phoenix 15 percent by next year.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them