PHOENIX — A fund for families of fallen or injured Maricopa County Sheriff’s officers and deputies will present a check for $15,000 on Wednesday to the family of a volunteer posseman who was injured at the scene of a crime.
Phillip Grigg, 63, was beaten when he intervened during a confrontation between an armed-robbery suspect and a Phoenix police officer on New Year’s Eve.
Griggs and Officer Scott Sefranka, 34, who was shot, were hospitalized in critical condition. Authorities said both men were improving and that Sefranka has been moved out of intensive care.
To help the two families of both men with expenses, the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association is inviting the public to a cookout to raise funds.
“We hope the community comes out and supports them,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Tommy Thompson. “It’s for a good cause to be able to help these two families. It’s nice to help them out,” he said.
The barbecue will be held Wednesday at the PLEA Garage, at 1102 W. Adams St., Phoenix, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Burgers and dogs will be served, then from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., dinner will be offered.
KTAR’S Martha Maurer contributed to this article
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.