PHOENIX — A potential candidate for Arizona governor says he’s encouraged by the response he’s been getting.
State Treasurer Doug Ducey said over $1 million was raised for his exploratory committee in 2013, and that he is starting the year with about $923,000 in cash on hand.
“We told people what we were thinking about doing, and asked them if they thought it was a good idea, and if they could be supporting of it, and we were overwhelmed by the response,” said Ducey.
When asked if he was definitely running for governor, Ducey said, “I’ve got an exploratory campaign right now, so we’ve made no announcement yet. But it’s definitely something we’re considering.”
Ducey wouldn’t answer for certain if he’s already out in public campaigning.
“When you’re out doing talking about what you may do, you can call that what you want. We’ve called an exploratory committee, and our supporters have been responsive to it, and, for that, we’re encouraged.”
Ducey said it could be 30 to 60 days before an official announcement is made. He also said that this may be the right time to run.
“We think there’s a great way to effect change inside the state,” he said. “This is the going to be the first open seat for governor in the last 12 years, so we’re excited about what 2014 can bring.”
Meanwhile, KTAR put in a request for an interview with Mesa Mayor Scott Smith about whether he is running for governor, and his office said he was unavailable for comment.
In late December, Smith said he would use the holidays to talk his future plans over with his family, and that he would make an announcement “sometime after the first of the year.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns