TEMPE, Ariz. — A Valley restaurant that has been open for 25 years is closing Wednesday to make way for USA Basketball.
A Chili’s Grill & Bar spokesperson said the location on Mill Avenue and University Drive will be closing to accommodate a new development in the area.
USA Basketball has made a deal with Arizona State University to build a new $350 million facility at the site where the Chili’s and an old shopping center now sit. It will include a 4,500-seat arena, a hotel, apartments and office and retail space.
Another restaurant, WM Sacks Art of Sandwicherie, is still open at the shopping center. An employee there did not know if or when the location will close, and the owner was not available for comment. Sacks has three other locations in the valley.
Meanwhile, the city of Tempe would not agree to an interview. The city sent KTAR a written statement saying that it’s excited for the future development of the area.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America