PHOENIX — Students at Arizona State University are redefining what it means to track workouts.
ASU now boasts the largest interconnected gym facility on Earth. The university’s four campuses are equipped with the largest installation of Precor exercise machines that are all linked by Preva, software that helps student track numerous aspects of working out.
“We have 148 cardio machines on the Tempe campus and the other three campuses have 50 machines each, said Sun Devil Fitness Director Tamra Garstka. “The Tempe campus is the largest single location cardio-install in the world.”
The partnership with the fitness equipment giant, Precor, started when ASU set out to expand the installations at their fitness centers on all campuses, said Garstka.
Precor won the bid and added the Preva app.
Preva lets students create an account on either a machine or an app. After they have an account, they can set workout goals, track distance covered and other information. The app lets students continue their workout away from the gym if they choose.
“You can create an account and put goals that you want,” Garstka said. “You can set a goal of the duration that you want to go on a weekly bases, the distance, or the calories.”
The app then sends students text messages or alerts on their progress. Having an account and using the app on the machines or on a phone is free.
ASU allows students and staff to compete in contests using their workout information. Garstka said that from September through November of last year, over 3,500 students had begun using the Preva app. ASU plans to continue having fitness challenges to get students excited and engaged about participating. \
“We wanted to set the standard of ‘Well Devils’ is what you do,” she said. “We want people to feel that’s the environment we’ve created at ASU, a healthy environment.
“Sun Devils is what you are but Well Devils is what you do,” she explained.
Users can opt to send data from Preva to researchers at ASU and the Mayo Clinic for use in obesity studies.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns