PHOENIX — Five people were arrested New Year’s Eve on suspicion of operating an illegal marijuana dispensary, the Peoria Police Department said Tuesday.
Police said Pure Essentials, located in the 7000 block of Deer Valley Road, was leased as a health and weight loss facility.
“Our detectives found out…(that it may) have been operating as an illegal marijuana dispensary,” said Peoria Police Public Information Officer Amanda Jacinto.
However, after being placed under surveillance, police determined that the owners were allegedly registering members with medical marijuana cards and allowing them to buy the drug for a set donation amount.
The business isn’t approved by the Arizona Department of Health Services as a
medical marijuana dispensary and its employees aren’t licensed by ADHS as
The business’ owners, 39-year-old Joshua Hernandez and 28-year-old Kristina Tangolics, were arrested. In addition, three employees — 22-year-old Robert Tangolics, 33-year-old Angela Maness and 22-year-old Andrew Knight — were arrested. All were charged with conspiracy to distribute and the sale of marijuana.
Jacinto said a legal medical marijuana dispensary is scheduled to open in Peoria later this week.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night