PHOENIX — Five people were arrested New Year’s Eve on suspicion of operating an illegal marijuana dispensary, the Peoria Police Department said Tuesday.
Police said Pure Essentials, located in the 7000 block of Deer Valley Road, was leased as a health and weight loss facility.
“Our detectives found out…(that it may) have been operating as an illegal marijuana dispensary,” said Peoria Police Public Information Officer Amanda Jacinto.
However, after being placed under surveillance, police determined that the owners were allegedly registering members with medical marijuana cards and allowing them to buy the drug for a set donation amount.
The business isn’t approved by the Arizona Department of Health Services as a
medical marijuana dispensary and its employees aren’t licensed by ADHS as
The business’ owners, 39-year-old Joshua Hernandez and 28-year-old Kristina Tangolics, were arrested. In addition, three employees — 22-year-old Robert Tangolics, 33-year-old Angela Maness and 22-year-old Andrew Knight — were arrested. All were charged with conspiracy to distribute and the sale of marijuana.
Jacinto said a legal medical marijuana dispensary is scheduled to open in Peoria later this week.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development