PHOENIX — Five people were arrested New Year’s Eve on suspicion of operating an illegal marijuana dispensary, the Peoria Police Department said Tuesday.
Police said Pure Essentials, located in the 7000 block of Deer Valley Road, was leased as a health and weight loss facility.
“Our detectives found out…(that it may) have been operating as an illegal marijuana dispensary,” said Peoria Police Public Information Officer Amanda Jacinto.
However, after being placed under surveillance, police determined that the owners were allegedly registering members with medical marijuana cards and allowing them to buy the drug for a set donation amount.
The business isn’t approved by the Arizona Department of Health Services as a
medical marijuana dispensary and its employees aren’t licensed by ADHS as
The business’ owners, 39-year-old Joshua Hernandez and 28-year-old Kristina Tangolics, were arrested. In addition, three employees — 22-year-old Robert Tangolics, 33-year-old Angela Maness and 22-year-old Andrew Knight — were arrested. All were charged with conspiracy to distribute and the sale of marijuana.
Jacinto said a legal medical marijuana dispensary is scheduled to open in Peoria later this week.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas