PHOENIX — Arizona law enforcement is pushing to implement the Blue Alert system to help quickly find anyone who shoots an officer.
An officer-based nonprofit would like to see Arizona legislators address the issue in the upcoming session.
Arizona Highway Patrol Association President Jimmy Chavez said a Blue Alert would have been issued last week when a Phoenix police officer and Maricopa County Sheriff’s posse member were shot. Neighborhoods were locked down while police searched for the suspects.
Chavez said the alert system would also have been triggered in the recent assault of a Department of Public Safety officer. The suspect remains on the loose.
The Blue Alert would go into effect anytime an officer is killed, assaulted with deadly weapons, suffers serious bodily injuries and the suspect has fled.
“We could have had information out almost immediately,” Chavez said. “The goal is to get as much info out on the suspect as we can even if that’s just a vehicle description. The Blue Alert is a messaging system that would go out just like the Amber Alert for missing children on radio and TV stations, smartphones, freeway message boards.”
Eighteen states have the Blue Alert, including California, Utah and Colorado, which not only alerts the public to dangerous suspects but would solicit the public’s help in catching suspects. Chavez said line-of-duty deaths have decreased in the past year but assaults on officers are up nationwide.
“The biggest challenge to Arizona having a Blue Alert system could be funding, but we could piggyback it off the current Amber Alert system and that would show little if any impact on funding.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy