PHOENIX — Arizona law enforcement is pushing to implement the Blue Alert system to help quickly find anyone who shoots an officer.
An officer-based nonprofit would like to see Arizona legislators address the issue in the upcoming session.
Arizona Highway Patrol Association President Jimmy Chavez said a Blue Alert would have been issued last week when a Phoenix police officer and Maricopa County Sheriff’s posse member were shot. Neighborhoods were locked down while police searched for the suspects.
Chavez said the alert system would also have been triggered in the recent assault of a Department of Public Safety officer. The suspect remains on the loose.
The Blue Alert would go into effect anytime an officer is killed, assaulted with deadly weapons, suffers serious bodily injuries and the suspect has fled.
“We could have had information out almost immediately,” Chavez said. “The goal is to get as much info out on the suspect as we can even if that’s just a vehicle description. The Blue Alert is a messaging system that would go out just like the Amber Alert for missing children on radio and TV stations, smartphones, freeway message boards.”
Eighteen states have the Blue Alert, including California, Utah and Colorado, which not only alerts the public to dangerous suspects but would solicit the public’s help in catching suspects. Chavez said line-of-duty deaths have decreased in the past year but assaults on officers are up nationwide.
“The biggest challenge to Arizona having a Blue Alert system could be funding, but we could piggyback it off the current Amber Alert system and that would show little if any impact on funding.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns