PHOENIX — Your next airline ticket could cost more if airports like Phoenix Sky Harbor get their way.
Phoenix airport officials are pushing Congress to increase the passenger facility charge. Right now, it’s $4.50 for a one-way domestic flight. Deputy Aviation Director Deborah Ostreicher said the airport would like it raised to $8.50.
“The current rate has been in place since 2000,” she said. “And, with inflation and the cost of projects it really is time to increase the amount we are eligible for.”
Ostreicher said Sky Harbor collects about $80 million annually from the passenger facility charge. The money has helped cover costs associated with the Sky Train and airfield improvements.
“This is the money that helps us pay for major projects that help us keep the airport up to date, safe and secure.”
While airports can use the money, they do not set the rates. Airports must convince Congress to raise the passenger facility charge and it could be a tough sell.
Politicians are already getting an earful from airlines and consumer groups over the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013. While lawmakers touted their budget cut spending without raising taxes, it does raise some fees, including the TSA security fee on airline tickets. Starting July 1, the security fee will more than double to $11.20 per round trip domestic flight.
The airline industry opposed that increase and has also spoken against raising the passenger facility charge.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food