PHOENIX — Your next airline ticket could cost more if airports like Phoenix Sky Harbor get their way.
Phoenix airport officials are pushing Congress to increase the passenger facility charge. Right now, it’s $4.50 for a one-way domestic flight. Deputy Aviation Director Deborah Ostreicher said the airport would like it raised to $8.50.
“The current rate has been in place since 2000,” she said. “And, with inflation and the cost of projects it really is time to increase the amount we are eligible for.”
Ostreicher said Sky Harbor collects about $80 million annually from the passenger facility charge. The money has helped cover costs associated with the Sky Train and airfield improvements.
“This is the money that helps us pay for major projects that help us keep the airport up to date, safe and secure.”
While airports can use the money, they do not set the rates. Airports must convince Congress to raise the passenger facility charge and it could be a tough sell.
Politicians are already getting an earful from airlines and consumer groups over the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013. While lawmakers touted their budget cut spending without raising taxes, it does raise some fees, including the TSA security fee on airline tickets. Starting July 1, the security fee will more than double to $11.20 per round trip domestic flight.
The airline industry opposed that increase and has also spoken against raising the passenger facility charge.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths