PHOENIX — Your next airline ticket could cost more if airports like Phoenix Sky Harbor get their way.
Phoenix airport officials are pushing Congress to increase the passenger facility charge. Right now, it’s $4.50 for a one-way domestic flight. Deputy Aviation Director Deborah Ostreicher said the airport would like it raised to $8.50.
“The current rate has been in place since 2000,” she said. “And, with inflation and the cost of projects it really is time to increase the amount we are eligible for.”
Ostreicher said Sky Harbor collects about $80 million annually from the passenger facility charge. The money has helped cover costs associated with the Sky Train and airfield improvements.
“This is the money that helps us pay for major projects that help us keep the airport up to date, safe and secure.”
While airports can use the money, they do not set the rates. Airports must convince Congress to raise the passenger facility charge and it could be a tough sell.
Politicians are already getting an earful from airlines and consumer groups over the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013. While lawmakers touted their budget cut spending without raising taxes, it does raise some fees, including the TSA security fee on airline tickets. Starting July 1, the security fee will more than double to $11.20 per round trip domestic flight.
The airline industry opposed that increase and has also spoken against raising the passenger facility charge.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development