Nearly 4,000 DUI arrests were made during the holiday season, according to the Arizona Governor’s Office of Highway Safety.
Arizona law enforcement made 3,042 DUI arrests from Nov. 25 through Dec. 31, 112 fewer than the same period in 2012. The DUI arrests came on 83,061 total traffic stops, and the average BAC of 0.145 was nearly twice the legal limit of 0.08.
Nearly 25 percent of those arrests were for extreme DUI (0.15 BAC or higher), and 337 of the total had a prior DUI arrrest. The number of under-21 DUIs rose to 210 from 187.
But while DUIs were up over the holiday season, arrests in 2013 were down more than 3,000 from 2012.
Total DUIs in 2013 fell to 29,163 from 32,171 in 2012, and extreme DUIs fell to 7,110 from 9,001. The average BAC remained at 0.151, and under-21 DUIs fell by 229.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments