Nearly 4,000 DUI arrests were made during the holiday season, according to the Arizona Governor’s Office of Highway Safety.
Arizona law enforcement made 3,042 DUI arrests from Nov. 25 through Dec. 31, 112 fewer than the same period in 2012. The DUI arrests came on 83,061 total traffic stops, and the average BAC of 0.145 was nearly twice the legal limit of 0.08.
Nearly 25 percent of those arrests were for extreme DUI (0.15 BAC or higher), and 337 of the total had a prior DUI arrrest. The number of under-21 DUIs rose to 210 from 187.
But while DUIs were up over the holiday season, arrests in 2013 were down more than 3,000 from 2012.
Total DUIs in 2013 fell to 29,163 from 32,171 in 2012, and extreme DUIs fell to 7,110 from 9,001. The average BAC remained at 0.151, and under-21 DUIs fell by 229.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier