Nearly 4,000 DUI arrests were made during the holiday season, according to the Arizona Governor’s Office of Highway Safety.
Arizona law enforcement made 3,042 DUI arrests from Nov. 25 through Dec. 31, 112 fewer than the same period in 2012. The DUI arrests came on 83,061 total traffic stops, and the average BAC of 0.145 was nearly twice the legal limit of 0.08.
Nearly 25 percent of those arrests were for extreme DUI (0.15 BAC or higher), and 337 of the total had a prior DUI arrrest. The number of under-21 DUIs rose to 210 from 187.
But while DUIs were up over the holiday season, arrests in 2013 were down more than 3,000 from 2012.
Total DUIs in 2013 fell to 29,163 from 32,171 in 2012, and extreme DUIs fell to 7,110 from 9,001. The average BAC remained at 0.151, and under-21 DUIs fell by 229.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets