Nearly 4,000 DUI arrests were made during the holiday season, according to the Arizona Governor’s Office of Highway Safety.
Arizona law enforcement made 3,042 DUI arrests from Nov. 25 through Dec. 31, 112 fewer than the same period in 2012. The DUI arrests came on 83,061 total traffic stops, and the average BAC of 0.145 was nearly twice the legal limit of 0.08.
Nearly 25 percent of those arrests were for extreme DUI (0.15 BAC or higher), and 337 of the total had a prior DUI arrrest. The number of under-21 DUIs rose to 210 from 187.
But while DUIs were up over the holiday season, arrests in 2013 were down more than 3,000 from 2012.
Total DUIs in 2013 fell to 29,163 from 32,171 in 2012, and extreme DUIs fell to 7,110 from 9,001. The average BAC remained at 0.151, and under-21 DUIs fell by 229.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development