The Yuma Visitor’s Bureau is offering a hands-on look at Southwest farming.
“Agriculture is the number one industry in Yuma, which astounds some people because they think Arizona is nothing but dry, dusty airport,” said Ann Walker with the Yuma Visitor’s Bureau. She says people are surprised when they discover that Yuma is the nation’s winter vegetable capital.
“We’re supplying lettuce and winter vegetables to all of North America this time of year,” she added.
Because of a growing interest in where food comes from and how food is produced, the Yuma Visitor’s Bureau started the Field to Feast tours, which have sold-out for the past three years.
Visitors start with a food safety lesson and a chance to harvest produce for themselves in a field grown just for the picking at the University of Arizona research farm. Then, while a Yuma grower gives tour participants an insider’s look at Yuma’s vast and fertile fields, culinary students from Arizona Western College turn the morning’s harvest into a farm-fresh lunch.
“People love the experience,” said Walker.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas