The Yuma Visitor’s Bureau is offering a hands-on look at Southwest farming.
“Agriculture is the number one industry in Yuma, which astounds some people because they think Arizona is nothing but dry, dusty airport,” said Ann Walker with the Yuma Visitor’s Bureau. She says people are surprised when they discover that Yuma is the nation’s winter vegetable capital.
“We’re supplying lettuce and winter vegetables to all of North America this time of year,” she added.
Because of a growing interest in where food comes from and how food is produced, the Yuma Visitor’s Bureau started the Field to Feast tours, which have sold-out for the past three years.
Visitors start with a food safety lesson and a chance to harvest produce for themselves in a field grown just for the picking at the University of Arizona research farm. Then, while a Yuma grower gives tour participants an insider’s look at Yuma’s vast and fertile fields, culinary students from Arizona Western College turn the morning’s harvest into a farm-fresh lunch.
“People love the experience,” said Walker.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them