The Yuma Visitor’s Bureau is offering a hands-on look at Southwest farming.
“Agriculture is the number one industry in Yuma, which astounds some people because they think Arizona is nothing but dry, dusty airport,” said Ann Walker with the Yuma Visitor’s Bureau. She says people are surprised when they discover that Yuma is the nation’s winter vegetable capital.
“We’re supplying lettuce and winter vegetables to all of North America this time of year,” she added.
Because of a growing interest in where food comes from and how food is produced, the Yuma Visitor’s Bureau started the Field to Feast tours, which have sold-out for the past three years.
Visitors start with a food safety lesson and a chance to harvest produce for themselves in a field grown just for the picking at the University of Arizona research farm. Then, while a Yuma grower gives tour participants an insider’s look at Yuma’s vast and fertile fields, culinary students from Arizona Western College turn the morning’s harvest into a farm-fresh lunch.
“People love the experience,” said Walker.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development