A Scottsdale man is going to the Super Bowl with the hopes of winning $1 million.
Ryan Andersen filmed his own Doritos commercial and has become one of five finalists in a Doritos competition to see which one will be aired during Super Bowl XLVII on February 2 and claim the $1 million prize.
Andersen’s entry is called “Time Machine,” and stars Ryan’s son Gavin along with the family dog.
“My son lures a man who is eating Doritos into his front yard and cons him into a (cardboard) time machine box, and the guy believes him,” Andersen said.
The boy tells the man that the time machine only works by putting a full bag of Doritos into a slot, which the man does. While the boy enjoys the Doritos outside, he shakes the box with his feet and uses a megaphone to help convince the man that he is actually traveling into the future.
Andersen appeared on KTAR’s “Arizona’s Morning News Weekend” show and told hosts Bob McClay and Stacey Brooks that the man is played by an actor from Los Angeles. A local Phoenix actor plays an old man in the ad.
Ryan said he got the idea for the ad while spending time with Gavin.
“We were actually watching ‘Back To The Future’ and he asked me if I could make him a Time Machine,” said Andersen. “Thinking to my childhood, I decided to make a refrigerator box one. As I was designing it, I was constantly thinking about ideas for making commercials, and it just kind of spawned from there.”
Andersen, who currently works as a wedding photographer, has dreams of becoming a filmmaker.
Fan voting will decide which of the five finalists will win the competition. Ryan admits it will be a big payday. “First place is one million dollars, and I also get to work on the set of the new Avengers movie,” he said. The second place winner also has his or her ad run in the Super Bowl, wins $50,000, and also gets to work on the movie.”
All five finalists have already won $25,000 for making it to the finals. They will all sit in the Doritos suite during the Super Bowl in New York and will find out which one is the winner when they see the winning commercial air during the game.
All of the finalists’ entries are posted at Doritos.com, where voting is also taking place.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy