PHOENIX — Glendale police have arrested a husband and wife in Friday’s shooting at Arrowhead Towne Center.
According to police, 35-year-old Michael Hough and 33-year-old Shaashana Hough were in the process of stealing a drill at Sears in the mall when an unarmed security officer approached them. As the couple exited the store, the officer tried to detain them, and investigators said the woman then pulled out a gun and pointed it at the officer.
At the same time, police said a 61-year-old Glendale man who was sitting in his car saw his wife leaving the store in the same area as the officer. Based on the preliminary information, police said he feared for the safety of his wife and the security officer and fired his gun several times toward the armed suspect. Both suspects jumped on a motorcycle and took off. No shoppers or employees were hurt.
“Obviously, we don’t encourage people to discharge firearms, especially in a crowded place such as the mall,” said Sgt. Jay O’Neill. “That was a decision that he made based upon those circumstances and we’re going to review that to make sure that there wasn’t any criminal intent or negligence involved.”
Glendale officers searched an apartment complex and found the motorcycle, which was not registered to either suspect. Using surveillance video and investigative leads, they identified the suspects and arrested them Saturday night near 26th Avenue and Deer Valley Road in Phoenix.
Shaashana Hough is facing aggravated assault and armed robbery charges, while Michael is facing an armed robbery charge.
“The best thing somebody can do if they see an incident like this occurring is to get as much information as they can, as much detail as they can and call 911 to provide the information to law enforcement to follow up on,” said O’Neill.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night