PHOENIX — Glendale police have arrested a husband and wife in Friday’s shooting at Arrowhead Towne Center.
According to police, 35-year-old Michael Hough and 33-year-old Shaashana Hough were in the process of stealing a drill at Sears in the mall when an unarmed security officer approached them. As the couple exited the store, the officer tried to detain them, and investigators said the woman then pulled out a gun and pointed it at the officer.
At the same time, police said a 61-year-old Glendale man who was sitting in his car saw his wife leaving the store in the same area as the officer. Based on the preliminary information, police said he feared for the safety of his wife and the security officer and fired his gun several times toward the armed suspect. Both suspects jumped on a motorcycle and took off. No shoppers or employees were hurt.
“Obviously, we don’t encourage people to discharge firearms, especially in a crowded place such as the mall,” said Sgt. Jay O’Neill. “That was a decision that he made based upon those circumstances and we’re going to review that to make sure that there wasn’t any criminal intent or negligence involved.”
Glendale officers searched an apartment complex and found the motorcycle, which was not registered to either suspect. Using surveillance video and investigative leads, they identified the suspects and arrested them Saturday night near 26th Avenue and Deer Valley Road in Phoenix.
Shaashana Hough is facing aggravated assault and armed robbery charges, while Michael is facing an armed robbery charge.
“The best thing somebody can do if they see an incident like this occurring is to get as much information as they can, as much detail as they can and call 911 to provide the information to law enforcement to follow up on,” said O’Neill.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America