The fate of Earth may rest in the University of Arizona’s hands.
All drama aside, the Tucson-based institution is leading the OSIRIS-REx project, an unmanned spacecraft that will launch in Sept. 2016 to investigate a near-Earth asteroid.
Called “Bennu,” the asteroid is the size of four football fields and is the “most most accessible organic-rich (carbon-rich) asteroid from the early solar system,” according to NASA. They hope the asteroid will be able to shed more light on not just what the conditions were like at the start of our solar system, but also how life was formed on our own planet.
The project’s acronym equates to a mind-boggling mouthful — “Origins-Spectral Interpretation-Resource Identification-Security-Regolith Explorer” — and was named after the ancient Egyptian god.
“Osiris was formed from pieces scattered across ancient Egypt, where he awoke as the bringer of life and ruler of the underworld,” Dr. Dante Lauretta, a professor at the university and the project’s principal investigator, said in a press release. “Our spacecraft has a similar story — it will consist of components fabricated in locations around the world, that once together, will allow us to connect with a near-Earth object that is an accessible remnant from the formation of our solar system.”
While the spacecraft isn’t slated to reach the asteroid until 2018, Lauretta already hails it as a “pioneering effort, both technologically and scientifically,” Lauretta said.
The OSIRIS-REx project will be managed by the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., while Lockheed Martin Space Systems in Denver, Colo. will build the spacecraft.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food