PHOENIX — The largest blood drive in Arizona was held Sunday while the state’s blood banks battle a massive shortage.
The holiday season always brings a drop in donations, but United Blood Services Arizona said demand outweighed donations by a 2-to-1 ratio since Dec. 25.
To meet current demand, UBS said about 1,500 Arizonans will have to donate blood. All blood types are needed, but O-negative, the universal blood type, is the one used most.
The UBS’ “Saving Arizona” drive was held Sunday morning at the Tempe Center for the Arts.
Spokeswoman Sue Thew said the event had 373 people sign in to donate blood, and that the result should be at least 250 successful donations.
“We won’t know exactly how much blood until results come back from the lab in the morning,” Thew said Sunday.
UBS said that if people weren’t able to make it Sunday’s event, they can still give blood at one of six Valley UBS donor centers later in the week.
All donors through Jan. 15 will receive a voucher for a one-day gate pass to the upcoming Waste Management Phoenix Open.
Donors can make appointments by calling 1-877-UBS-HERO or visiting BloodHero.com to register and find the nearest location.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns