PHOENIX — Diners may not be able to get into their favorite restaurants anymore because some of them have closed.
For example, five valley Applebee’s were closed as part of a franchise sale. There is a fence around the Bill Johnson’s Big Apple on west Indian School Road. The local chain’s four other locations are still open. The Islands has closed near Paradise Valley Mall.
Arizona Restaurant Association President Steve Chucri said people may have tired of some of the restaurants.
“The life cycle of your average restaurant is 20 to 25 years,” he said. “Some restaurants have had a very long run in the state, but demographics change in certain neighborhoods. Consumer demand changes. The overall likeability of a certain brand or concept changes over time.”
Chucri said TGI Friday’s is a great example of a restaurant becoming a “tired brand.” While there used to be dozens of locations in Phoenix and Tucson, only two are still open. One of them is the Friday’s Front Row at Chase field, the other is at Interstate 17 and Happy Valley Road.
Still, Chucri insisted that more Arizonans are going out to eat, and restaurants are doing well.
“We were $100 million more in growth over the growth of last year, meaning 2012,” he said.
Chucri added that as some restaurants have closed, others have opened in the Valley.
“Sam Fox has opened some new restaurants,” he said. “Bootleggers is expanding into Scottsdale. Kevin Binkley has expanded two new restaurants in the year. We are seeing the growth pattern happen more than we are restaurants being closed.”
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life