PHOENIX — Diners may not be able to get into their favorite restaurants anymore because some of them have closed.
For example, five valley Applebee’s were closed as part of a franchise sale. There is a fence around the Bill Johnson’s Big Apple on west Indian School Road. The local chain’s four other locations are still open. The Islands has closed near Paradise Valley Mall.
Arizona Restaurant Association President Steve Chucri said people may have tired of some of the restaurants.
“The life cycle of your average restaurant is 20 to 25 years,” he said. “Some restaurants have had a very long run in the state, but demographics change in certain neighborhoods. Consumer demand changes. The overall likeability of a certain brand or concept changes over time.”
Chucri said TGI Friday’s is a great example of a restaurant becoming a “tired brand.” While there used to be dozens of locations in Phoenix and Tucson, only two are still open. One of them is the Friday’s Front Row at Chase field, the other is at Interstate 17 and Happy Valley Road.
Still, Chucri insisted that more Arizonans are going out to eat, and restaurants are doing well.
“We were $100 million more in growth over the growth of last year, meaning 2012,” he said.
Chucri added that as some restaurants have closed, others have opened in the Valley.
“Sam Fox has opened some new restaurants,” he said. “Bootleggers is expanding into Scottsdale. Kevin Binkley has expanded two new restaurants in the year. We are seeing the growth pattern happen more than we are restaurants being closed.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas