PHOENIX — A bystander opened fire on two accused shoplifters who were pointing a gun at security officers at Arrowhead Towne Center in Glendale, Ariz. on Friday, police said.
The Glendale Police Department said it received several 911 calls about 12:15 p.m. that shots had been fired. An additional call from Sears said its loss prevention team had tried to detain two possible shoplifters, when one pulled a gun.
It was originally believed that the suspects fired, but police said that was untrue. Instead, both suspects were not injured by an unidentified 61-year-old bystander, who opened fire after seeing one shoplifter holding a gun.
“The male Glendale resident saw his wife exiting and believed that she may also be in danger,” said Glendale Police Sgt. Jay O’Neil. “Fearing for the safety of his wife and the loss prevention officer, he fired several rounds toward the armed suspect.”
The suspects are described as being a white male with a “scruffy” beard wearing a black t-shirt and black baseball cap and a white female wearing a blue tank top underneath a black hoodie, blue jeans and carrying a gray and blue backpack.
The suspects fled the area on a black motorcycle. Police located a similar vehicle at a nearby apartment complex and are currently investigating.
It is unclear if charges will be pursued against the bystander who opened fire.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again