PHOENIX — A bystander opened fire on two accused shoplifters who were pointing a gun at security officers at Arrowhead Towne Center in Glendale, Ariz. on Friday, police said.
The Glendale Police Department said it received several 911 calls about 12:15 p.m. that shots had been fired. An additional call from Sears said its loss prevention team had tried to detain two possible shoplifters, when one pulled a gun.
It was originally believed that the suspects fired, but police said that was untrue. Instead, both suspects were not injured by an unidentified 61-year-old bystander, who opened fire after seeing one shoplifter holding a gun.
“The male Glendale resident saw his wife exiting and believed that she may also be in danger,” said Glendale Police Sgt. Jay O’Neil. “Fearing for the safety of his wife and the loss prevention officer, he fired several rounds toward the armed suspect.”
The suspects are described as being a white male with a “scruffy” beard wearing a black t-shirt and black baseball cap and a white female wearing a blue tank top underneath a black hoodie, blue jeans and carrying a gray and blue backpack.
The suspects fled the area on a black motorcycle. Police located a similar vehicle at a nearby apartment complex and are currently investigating.
It is unclear if charges will be pursued against the bystander who opened fire.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.