PEORIA, Ariz. — Big televisions, computers, tablets, speakers and high-tech gadgets are all items we likely got around the holidays.
How easy would it be to get them back if they were stolen?
The Peoria Police Department has some tools residents can use to help prevent and investigate property crime.
“Crime Shield is a program that any of our residents can enroll in,” said Peoria Police Officer Amanda Jacinto. “It is a checklist you can download from our website with simple things they can do around their homes to make them less of a target for burglars.”
The checklist allows homeowners, businesses, as well as construction sites and adult care facilities to go around their property and itemize possessions.
In the case of a residence, the checklist allows for writing down serial numbers of electronics and appliances that can be hard to track if stolen.
“Especially after we just got some great Christmas presents,” said Jacinto, “If, for some reason, someone was to break in to your home, having the serial number is very important.”
Once the property is Crime Shield certified, the police department provides a sticker that is placed outside the property telling the criminal the home is protected.
Besides itemizing the items inside homes and businesses, the Crime Shield checklists also have tips on how to keep points of entry protected from criminals.
“Some simple ways to secure your home, your windows and your doggy door,” she said.
The checklist also recommends keeping the front yard well maintained to avoid making the home look vacant. Doors and windows should be clear of shrubs or décor that might keep you from looking out the window. Having enough lighting and making sure your address numbers are visible is also important.
For more information on the Peoria Police Department’s Crime Shield, click here.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon