PHOENIX — The big chill back East is reaching across the country to sunny Phoenix, disrupting flights Friday from Sky Harbor Airport.
The storm that has covered the Northeast had forced the delay of at least 10 flights to New York’s JFK International, some of the postponements up to an hour.
Some flights from Las Vegas to Phoenix were affected Thursday night. Some planes were stranded on the McCarran International runway awaiting takeoff for an hour.
Other flights were canceled overnight, leaving many travelers stranded in terminals.
“First it was just delayed, then we’re supposed to leave at 6, then now you’re going to leave at 9:45, now it’s 10:45. I think they finally canceled the flight at 12:30,” said Laurie Hahn, who was trying to get home to Texas from Phoenix.
The airlines are also dealing with staffing issues. Several flights were canceled because crews had worked too many hours, causing a scramble for replacements.
Airport staff recommended even Valley residents flying out should check with their airlines before going to the airport.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon