PHOENIX — Former Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon downplayed rumors Thursday that he may try to get his old job back, but didn’t necessarily rule out another run in the future.
The rumors started in mid-December when Gordon commented to 12 News that he “would love to be mayor again.”
Gordon told KTAR Thursday why he’d love to return to the job.
“Being mayor of Phoenix is the greatest job that I ever had, and I think that anybody could ever have,” he said.
But he jokingly added that not only is he not seeking the job, he is “running away from it.” He said that he’s too busy to think about running for mayor in 2015.
“Right now, I’m part of a non-profit foundation that’s working to cure cancer with technology and with evidence-based medicine,” Gordon said. “It’s probably the most important job that I’ve ever had.”
Still, Gordon has recently been critical of the current city council. While he insists that he supports Mayor Greg Stanton, he joined three other former mayors in writing a letter saying that Stanton and members of the city council should get along better.
Gordon said that he has no plans to run in 2015, but then added “I never thought I would be running for mayor the first time I ran for mayor, so we’ll see what the future holds.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.