PHOENIX — Former Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon downplayed rumors Thursday that he may try to get his old job back, but didn’t necessarily rule out another run in the future.
The rumors started in mid-December when Gordon commented to 12 News that he “would love to be mayor again.”
Gordon told KTAR Thursday why he’d love to return to the job.
“Being mayor of Phoenix is the greatest job that I ever had, and I think that anybody could ever have,” he said.
But he jokingly added that not only is he not seeking the job, he is “running away from it.” He said that he’s too busy to think about running for mayor in 2015.
“Right now, I’m part of a non-profit foundation that’s working to cure cancer with technology and with evidence-based medicine,” Gordon said. “It’s probably the most important job that I’ve ever had.”
Still, Gordon has recently been critical of the current city council. While he insists that he supports Mayor Greg Stanton, he joined three other former mayors in writing a letter saying that Stanton and members of the city council should get along better.
Gordon said that he has no plans to run in 2015, but then added “I never thought I would be running for mayor the first time I ran for mayor, so we’ll see what the future holds.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night