DALLAS (AP) – American Airlines says more than 60,000 employees voted and a majority want to paint red, white and blue horizontal stripes on the tails of all AA planes.
The company plans to repaint more than 1,100 American, US Airways and US Airways Express planes. New jets ordered by American already bear the election-winning look.
It’s unlikely that any passengers pick an airline based on the paint job, but airline employees and aviation geeks can spend hours debating the subject.
American introduced a new logo and began a fleet-wide repainting of its planes a year ago. The carbon-composite bodies on many new jets made it impractical to keep the polished-metal look that American had sported since the 1960s.
The new livery, as a plane’s appearance is called, drew mixed reviews, with some of the snarkiest comments aimed at the new tail.
Doug Parker, who became CEO of American Airlines Group Inc. last month after American merged with US Airways, said that it would be too costly to start painting over the bodies of freshly painted planes, but he let employees pick the look of the tail.
They were given two choices. American said 52 percent picked the new design, which looks like a nod to the United States flag. The other option was a return to the old logo _ the letters “AA” below an eagle silhouette.
Voting over the tail is one of several symbolic moves Parker has made to reach out to employees, who often clashed with American’s previous management. Among other things, he removed the parking spots that had been reserved for executives at the airline’s Fort Worth headquarters.
“We of course can’t vote on every decision at the airline, but we do want input from all of you on issues that are important to your work lives,” Parker said in a message to employees on Thursday.
Much harder work looms ahead for Parker, including combining the computer systems and workforces of American and US Airways.
Follow David Koenig at
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier