SALT LAKE CITY — Of all countries in the world, Americans like Canada the most and dislike Saudi Arabia more than any other.
A Pew Research Center survey conducted last fall revealed Americans’ attitudes toward allies and competitors. Canada had the most positive review, with 81 percent of Americans feeling favorable toward their North American counterpart. Another ally, Great Britain, had a 79 percent impression of favorability.
Perhaps unsurprisingly after years of being at odds with the United States, Saudi Arabia was seen by 57 percent of survey participants unfavorably, making the bottom of the list.
Fifty-five percent and 54 percent of participants saw China and Russia, respectively, in an unfavorable way.
Mexico was the fourth least-favorably viewed country, with 52 percent of participants viewing the bordering country unfavorably.
“However strongly Americans may feel about other countries, either pro or con, their views can also change dramatically over time,” Pew wrote.
France, for example, has gained in popularity since 2003. At the “height of disagreement” between France and America over the Iraq war.
The views were “decidedly partisan” according to Pew. While republicans were more likely than democrats to view Israel favorably, while democrats were the more likely of the two to view China, Mexico and France favorably.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night