PHOENIX — The swine flu is making the rounds again and Arizona health experts are recommending people get a flu shot as soon as possible.
H1N1, dubbed swine flu, first appeared in 2009. It killed thousands globally before a vaccine was developed. Dr. Cara Christ, chief medical officer with the Arizona Department of Health Services, said this time around it’s not as severe. There’s no cause for panic because the current vaccine protects against H1N1.
“Hopefully this vaccine will keep our numbers lower but you never know with the flu,” she said.
Christ said dozens of flu cases have been tested this season and 95 percent have been of the H1N1 variety.
“It could be because of increased travel and it could be because people simply haven’t been vaccinated,” she said.
Christ said some people who are vaccinated end up with the flu but they’re still better off getting the vaccine.
There have been no child deaths in Arizona this season from the swine flu.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America