PHOENIX — The swine flu is making the rounds again and Arizona health experts are recommending people get a flu shot as soon as possible.
H1N1, dubbed swine flu, first appeared in 2009. It killed thousands globally before a vaccine was developed. Dr. Cara Christ, chief medical officer with the Arizona Department of Health Services, said this time around it’s not as severe. There’s no cause for panic because the current vaccine protects against H1N1.
“Hopefully this vaccine will keep our numbers lower but you never know with the flu,” she said.
Christ said dozens of flu cases have been tested this season and 95 percent have been of the H1N1 variety.
“It could be because of increased travel and it could be because people simply haven’t been vaccinated,” she said.
Christ said some people who are vaccinated end up with the flu but they’re still better off getting the vaccine.
There have been no child deaths in Arizona this season from the swine flu.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development