PHOENIX — The swine flu is making the rounds again and Arizona health experts are recommending people get a flu shot as soon as possible.
H1N1, dubbed swine flu, first appeared in 2009. It killed thousands globally before a vaccine was developed. Dr. Cara Christ, chief medical officer with the Arizona Department of Health Services, said this time around it’s not as severe. There’s no cause for panic because the current vaccine protects against H1N1.
“Hopefully this vaccine will keep our numbers lower but you never know with the flu,” she said.
Christ said dozens of flu cases have been tested this season and 95 percent have been of the H1N1 variety.
“It could be because of increased travel and it could be because people simply haven’t been vaccinated,” she said.
Christ said some people who are vaccinated end up with the flu but they’re still better off getting the vaccine.
There have been no child deaths in Arizona this season from the swine flu.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food