PHOENIX — The Red Rock Correctional Center, a privately-operated facility south of the Valley, is becoming home to almost 1,600 Arizona inmates.
Lower-level offenders from overcrowded state prisons are beginning to be transferred to the seven-year-old center in Eloy, which is about halfway between Phoenix and Tucson. The medium-security facility had been home to male inmates from California and Hawaii, but once the Correctional Corporation of America won the Arizona contract last year, it moved those inmates to other facilities.
While CCA manages the prison, the Arizona Department of Corrections is still responsible for public and inmate safety.
“The private operators hire their own staff but other than that we ensure inmates are managed appropriately we oversee every aspect of care and housing,” said Doug Nick, a spokesman for the Arizona Department of Corrections.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas