PHOENIX — The Red Rock Correctional Center, a privately-operated facility south of the Valley, is becoming home to almost 1,600 Arizona inmates.
Lower-level offenders from overcrowded state prisons are beginning to be transferred to the seven-year-old center in Eloy, which is about halfway between Phoenix and Tucson. The medium-security facility had been home to male inmates from California and Hawaii, but once the Correctional Corporation of America won the Arizona contract last year, it moved those inmates to other facilities.
While CCA manages the prison, the Arizona Department of Corrections is still responsible for public and inmate safety.
“The private operators hire their own staff but other than that we ensure inmates are managed appropriately we oversee every aspect of care and housing,” said Doug Nick, a spokesman for the Arizona Department of Corrections.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development