PHOENIX — The Red Rock Correctional Center, a privately-operated facility south of the Valley, is becoming home to almost 1,600 Arizona inmates.
Lower-level offenders from overcrowded state prisons are beginning to be transferred to the seven-year-old center in Eloy, which is about halfway between Phoenix and Tucson. The medium-security facility had been home to male inmates from California and Hawaii, but once the Correctional Corporation of America won the Arizona contract last year, it moved those inmates to other facilities.
While CCA manages the prison, the Arizona Department of Corrections is still responsible for public and inmate safety.
“The private operators hire their own staff but other than that we ensure inmates are managed appropriately we oversee every aspect of care and housing,” said Doug Nick, a spokesman for the Arizona Department of Corrections.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments