PHOENIX — It’s both a happy new year — and a happy birthday — for one Peoria couple and their newborn daughter, Viviana Marie.
“My due date was supposed to be January 3rd,” said Dominica Cordova, Viviana’s mother. “[The doctors] called me in for an induction and I thought it was going to be on [New Year’s Eve],” she added.
It wasn’t until Cordova’s doctor arrived a few minutes before the stroke of midnight that she realized her baby could be born at exactly the start of 2014.
“We started pushing at 11:58 p.m. and she came out exactly at 12:00 a.m.,” Cordova said.
And she wasn’t the only one hoping to have her baby right at midnight.
Another mom down the hall at Estrella Banner Hospital in Phoenix was also in labor at the same time.
“We were closer,” she recalled. “We knew we had our baby coming.”
Sebastian Cordova, the baby’s father, is ecstatic to welcome their second child on the first day of 2014.
“I’m very happy that she’s healthy,” he said. “To be honest, it didn’t really make a difference to me if she was born in 2013, as long as she was ok.”
Viviana Marie Cordova weighed six pounds, five ounces and measured 19.5 inches.
Viviana will now play the little sister to the Cordovas’ one-year-old son.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths