PHOENIX — It’s both a happy new year — and a happy birthday — for one Peoria couple and their newborn daughter, Viviana Marie.
“My due date was supposed to be January 3rd,” said Dominica Cordova, Viviana’s mother. “[The doctors] called me in for an induction and I thought it was going to be on [New Year’s Eve],” she added.
It wasn’t until Cordova’s doctor arrived a few minutes before the stroke of midnight that she realized her baby could be born at exactly the start of 2014.
“We started pushing at 11:58 p.m. and she came out exactly at 12:00 a.m.,” Cordova said.
And she wasn’t the only one hoping to have her baby right at midnight.
Another mom down the hall at Estrella Banner Hospital in Phoenix was also in labor at the same time.
“We were closer,” she recalled. “We knew we had our baby coming.”
Sebastian Cordova, the baby’s father, is ecstatic to welcome their second child on the first day of 2014.
“I’m very happy that she’s healthy,” he said. “To be honest, it didn’t really make a difference to me if she was born in 2013, as long as she was ok.”
Viviana Marie Cordova weighed six pounds, five ounces and measured 19.5 inches.
Viviana will now play the little sister to the Cordovas’ one-year-old son.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night