PHOENIX — As the story develops over whether a 13-year-old Oakland, Calif., girl who is brain dead from tonsillectomy complications will be pulled from life support, Valley parents might be wondering if something similar could happen to their child.
Even tonsillectomies, the third most common surgery for children, have an inherent risk, but that doesn’t mean parents can’t help improve the odds for their child.
Dr. Jerald Altman, chairman of the surgery department at Arrowhead Hospital in Glendale, said if a doctor recommends surgery, always get a second opinion.
“I love second opinions,” Altman said. “I always tell parents that if a physician gets upset that you’re seeking a second opinion, you do not want to see that doctor.”
Altman added that while there are risks with any surgery, parents should always make sure the doctor has clear reasons for why a surgery is necessary.
“Talk to the doctor about what their reasons [are] for suggesting tonsillectomy for their child,” Altman explained. “[Then] ask their pediatrician or their family doctor about the specialist.”
Altman also said the Arizona Medical Board is a good resource to look up information about doctors.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.