PHOENIX — As the story develops over whether a 13-year-old Oakland, Calif., girl who is brain dead from tonsillectomy complications will be pulled from life support, Valley parents might be wondering if something similar could happen to their child.
Even tonsillectomies, the third most common surgery for children, have an inherent risk, but that doesn’t mean parents can’t help improve the odds for their child.
Dr. Jerald Altman, chairman of the surgery department at Arrowhead Hospital in Glendale, said if a doctor recommends surgery, always get a second opinion.
“I love second opinions,” Altman said. “I always tell parents that if a physician gets upset that you’re seeking a second opinion, you do not want to see that doctor.”
Altman added that while there are risks with any surgery, parents should always make sure the doctor has clear reasons for why a surgery is necessary.
“Talk to the doctor about what their reasons [are] for suggesting tonsillectomy for their child,” Altman explained. “[Then] ask their pediatrician or their family doctor about the specialist.”
Altman also said the Arizona Medical Board is a good resource to look up information about doctors.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy