PHOENIX — Authorities are searching for suspects involved in a
shooting that left a Phoenix police officer and a Maricopa County Sheriff’s
Office volunteer posse member in critical condition.
The shooting took place around 2 p.m. Tuesday in the parking lot of the Walgreens at the intersection of 56th Street and Thomas Road.
Police cleared the area shortly after.
— Katie Conner (@KatieJConner) December 31, 2013
Two suspects, Roger Allen Sharp, 26, and David Lee Murray, Jr., 36, were arrested in backyards in the area. One had forced his way into a home before being apprehended.
Officers from @phoenixpolice searching for at least 2 Black males & 2 Black females after officer shot by suspects.
— Steve Martos (@SgtMartos) December 31, 2013
One officer, 34, was wounded in the shooting and hospitalized in critical condition.
Police said the suspects were involved in an armed robbery near 52nd Street and Thomas. The suspects were in a car chase with police that ended in
a crash at an intersection.
One of the suspects wrestled a gun away from a policeman and shot the
officer and a male truck driver who tried to help.
The man, 63, is a member of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office volunteer posse. He is also in critical condition.
The officer’s gun is missing.
Police will still be in the area between 64th Street to 56th Street and Thomas to McDowell, but the active search is over.
Residents in the area were told to shelter in place and call 911 if they see suspicious activity.
The names of the officer, truck driver and suspects in custody haven’t been
KTAR’s Sandra Haros, Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night