PHOENIX — Authorities are searching for suspects involved in a
shooting that left a Phoenix police officer and a Maricopa County Sheriff’s
Office volunteer posse member in critical condition.
The shooting took place around 2 p.m. Tuesday in the parking lot of the Walgreens at the intersection of 56th Street and Thomas Road.
Police cleared the area shortly after.
— Katie Conner (@KatieJConner) December 31, 2013
Two suspects, Roger Allen Sharp, 26, and David Lee Murray, Jr., 36, were arrested in backyards in the area. One had forced his way into a home before being apprehended.
Officers from @phoenixpolice searching for at least 2 Black males & 2 Black females after officer shot by suspects.
— Steve Martos (@SgtMartos) December 31, 2013
One officer, 34, was wounded in the shooting and hospitalized in critical condition.
Police said the suspects were involved in an armed robbery near 52nd Street and Thomas. The suspects were in a car chase with police that ended in
a crash at an intersection.
One of the suspects wrestled a gun away from a policeman and shot the
officer and a male truck driver who tried to help.
The man, 63, is a member of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office volunteer posse. He is also in critical condition.
The officer’s gun is missing.
Police will still be in the area between 64th Street to 56th Street and Thomas to McDowell, but the active search is over.
Residents in the area were told to shelter in place and call 911 if they see suspicious activity.
The names of the officer, truck driver and suspects in custody haven’t been
KTAR’s Sandra Haros, Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon