PHOENIX — Authorities are searching for suspects involved in a
shooting that left a Phoenix police officer and a Maricopa County Sheriff’s
Office volunteer posse member in critical condition.
The shooting took place around 2 p.m. Tuesday in the parking lot of the Walgreens at the intersection of 56th Street and Thomas Road.
Police cleared the area shortly after.
— Katie Conner (@KatieJConner) December 31, 2013
Two suspects, Roger Allen Sharp, 26, and David Lee Murray, Jr., 36, were arrested in backyards in the area. One had forced his way into a home before being apprehended.
Officers from @phoenixpolice searching for at least 2 Black males & 2 Black females after officer shot by suspects.
— Steve Martos (@SgtMartos) December 31, 2013
One officer, 34, was wounded in the shooting and hospitalized in critical condition.
Police said the suspects were involved in an armed robbery near 52nd Street and Thomas. The suspects were in a car chase with police that ended in
a crash at an intersection.
One of the suspects wrestled a gun away from a policeman and shot the
officer and a male truck driver who tried to help.
The man, 63, is a member of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office volunteer posse. He is also in critical condition.
The officer’s gun is missing.
Police will still be in the area between 64th Street to 56th Street and Thomas to McDowell, but the active search is over.
Residents in the area were told to shelter in place and call 911 if they see suspicious activity.
The names of the officer, truck driver and suspects in custody haven’t been
KTAR’s Sandra Haros, Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas