PHOENIX — The City of Show Low will bring in the New Year with one of Arizona’s most unique events.
Show Low was literally named after a card game decided by the deuce of clubs. C.E. Cooley and Marion Clark determined there was not enough room for both of them in the settlement. According to legend, Clark said, “If you can show low, you win.” Cooley turned up the deuce of clubs and replied, “Show Low it is.”
Carrie Natceli with the city said the card will drop at midnight. The event is free.
“We have a lighted, hoisted deuce of clubs and do the typical countdown and drop the lighted card and then do a fireworks display.”
This is the third year of the event and Natceli said a crowd of about 500 people is expected to brave the chilly night in the high country to watch around 11 p.m. at Festival Marketplace, 1031 E. Deuce of Clubs.
Meanwhile in Flagstaff, the 6-foot tall Great Pine Cone will be lowered from the Weatherford Hotel. That New Year’s Eve tradition has been going since 1999. The event is free.
There will be two drops this year. The first drop is at 10 p.m. to give families with children a chance to party; the second drop will be at midnight.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.