PHOENIX — The City of Show Low will bring in the New Year with one of Arizona’s most unique events.
Show Low was literally named after a card game decided by the deuce of clubs. C.E. Cooley and Marion Clark determined there was not enough room for both of them in the settlement. According to legend, Clark said, “If you can show low, you win.” Cooley turned up the deuce of clubs and replied, “Show Low it is.”
Carrie Natceli with the city said the card will drop at midnight. The event is free.
“We have a lighted, hoisted deuce of clubs and do the typical countdown and drop the lighted card and then do a fireworks display.”
This is the third year of the event and Natceli said a crowd of about 500 people is expected to brave the chilly night in the high country to watch around 11 p.m. at Festival Marketplace, 1031 E. Deuce of Clubs.
Meanwhile in Flagstaff, the 6-foot tall Great Pine Cone will be lowered from the Weatherford Hotel. That New Year’s Eve tradition has been going since 1999. The event is free.
There will be two drops this year. The first drop is at 10 p.m. to give families with children a chance to party; the second drop will be at midnight.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy