PHOENIX — A pipe broke Friday, Dec. 27, on the third floor of the 4th Avenue Jail in Phoenix and caused flooding in the floors below, according to a press release Monday from the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.
The break happened in a control tower and is believed to be caused inadvertently by an employee. The pipe was a high-pressure fire sprinkler main line, and water leaked down two floors after the break.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio said no one was hurt, but that operations within the jail were hampered over the weekend and that floors, walls and equipment did dry out until Monday.
Fifty inmates had to be moved outside to Tent City, and some electrical equipment had to be turned off until Monday. Inmates contributed to the brunt of the clean-up work.
“Staff and inmates may have been slightly inconvenienced by it and visitation had to be cancelled. But the important thing is no injuries or behavioral disruptions occurred. And now operations are back to normal,” Arpaio said.
The employee believed to have caused the pipe break, who is a probationary detention officer, has been placed on administrative leave with pay, and the investigation is ongoing.
MCSO added that the employee did not appear to intend to damage the building.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.