PHOENIX — A pipe broke Friday, Dec. 27, on the third floor of the 4th Avenue Jail in Phoenix and caused flooding in the floors below, according to a press release Monday from the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.
The break happened in a control tower and is believed to be caused inadvertently by an employee. The pipe was a high-pressure fire sprinkler main line, and water leaked down two floors after the break.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio said no one was hurt, but that operations within the jail were hampered over the weekend and that floors, walls and equipment did dry out until Monday.
Fifty inmates had to be moved outside to Tent City, and some electrical equipment had to be turned off until Monday. Inmates contributed to the brunt of the clean-up work.
“Staff and inmates may have been slightly inconvenienced by it and visitation had to be cancelled. But the important thing is no injuries or behavioral disruptions occurred. And now operations are back to normal,” Arpaio said.
The employee believed to have caused the pipe break, who is a probationary detention officer, has been placed on administrative leave with pay, and the investigation is ongoing.
MCSO added that the employee did not appear to intend to damage the building.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy