If you are planning to celebrate the end of 2013 and the beginning of 2014 you can cheer, dance, raise a glass and even kiss your honey but one thing you cannot do is shoot a gun into the air.
Arizona is one of many states that have a form of Shannon’s Law. In Arizona, this means that it is illegal to fire a gun into the air (See A.R.S. 13-3107).
If you do so, you can be charged with a Class 6 dangerous felony and you WILL go to prison for somewhere between 1.5 years to 3 years, with NO possibility of probation. The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office and law enforcement take this law very seriously and do not compromise.
You may believe that there is no harm shooting into the air because you are not aiming at someone. Tell this to Shannon Smith’s parents, who had to bury their 14-year-old daughter who was hit by a stray bullet in June 1999.
Remember, bullets that go up must come down. After her tragic death, Shannon’s parents worked hard and successfully convinced Arizona lawmakers to enact “Shannon’s Law” making it a felony offense if a firearm is discharged into the air.
You may ask yourself “How can law enforcement know I did it?” The answer is that some agencies have special equipment that informs them of when and where a firearm was fired and I am sure this equipment will be used on nights like New Year’s Eve. Even if law enforcement could not track the shooter, why would you want to take the chance of going to prison? Or worse yet, of killing someone?
The take away here is be smart. Leave your guns locked up on New Year’s Eve. Alcohol, drugs and/or adrenaline do not always lead to good decisions. If you have your gun out you may be more inclined to use it, especially when your judgement is compromised by alcohol and drugs. t may sound cliche but I will say it anyway: Celebrate with smiles and laughter and not with bullets.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food