If you are planning to celebrate the end of 2013 and the beginning of 2014 you can cheer, dance, raise a glass and even kiss your honey but one thing you cannot do is shoot a gun into the air.
Arizona is one of many states that have a form of Shannon’s Law. In Arizona, this means that it is illegal to fire a gun into the air (See A.R.S. 13-3107).
If you do so, you can be charged with a Class 6 dangerous felony and you WILL go to prison for somewhere between 1.5 years to 3 years, with NO possibility of probation. The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office and law enforcement take this law very seriously and do not compromise.
You may believe that there is no harm shooting into the air because you are not aiming at someone. Tell this to Shannon Smith’s parents, who had to bury their 14-year-old daughter who was hit by a stray bullet in June 1999.
Remember, bullets that go up must come down. After her tragic death, Shannon’s parents worked hard and successfully convinced Arizona lawmakers to enact “Shannon’s Law” making it a felony offense if a firearm is discharged into the air.
You may ask yourself “How can law enforcement know I did it?” The answer is that some agencies have special equipment that informs them of when and where a firearm was fired and I am sure this equipment will be used on nights like New Year’s Eve. Even if law enforcement could not track the shooter, why would you want to take the chance of going to prison? Or worse yet, of killing someone?
The take away here is be smart. Leave your guns locked up on New Year’s Eve. Alcohol, drugs and/or adrenaline do not always lead to good decisions. If you have your gun out you may be more inclined to use it, especially when your judgement is compromised by alcohol and drugs. t may sound cliche but I will say it anyway: Celebrate with smiles and laughter and not with bullets.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development