FLORENCE, Ariz. (AP) – An Arizona woman faces murder charges accusing her of trying to kill her ex-husband and poison her four children, including a teenage daughter found dead in her home on Christmas Day, a prosecutor announced Wednesday.
A grand jury indictment charges Connie Villa, 35, of Casa Grande, with first-degree murder, kidnapping, attempted murder and child abuse, Pinal County Attorney Lando Voyles said.
Police have said Villa told investigators she suffocated her 13-year-old daughter when the girl wouldn’t take prescription narcotic drugs. The other children, ages 3, 5 and 8, were treated at a hospital and released.
According to police, Villa said her motive was that she didn’t want her ex-husband to have custody of the children.
Voyles said Villa is charged with two versions of murder. One accuses her of premeditated murder while the other accuses her of murder while committing another crime, child abuse.
April Elliott, a public defender representing Villa, said her client will plead not guilty when she is arraigned Friday. Elliott declined further comment.
Villa was arrested Dec. 29 after she was released from a Phoenix hospital, where she was taken on Christmas for treatment of what police believe were self-inflicted stab wounds.
Police were sent to Connie Villa’s home on Christmas after the ex-husband, Adam Villa, called 911 to report he’d been stabbed. He suffered non-life-threatening wounds.
Villa remains jailed without bond.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier