FLORENCE, Ariz. (AP) – An Arizona woman faces murder charges accusing her of trying to kill her ex-husband and poison her four children, including a teenage daughter found dead in her home on Christmas Day, a prosecutor announced Wednesday.
A grand jury indictment charges Connie Villa, 35, of Casa Grande, with first-degree murder, kidnapping, attempted murder and child abuse, Pinal County Attorney Lando Voyles said.
Police have said Villa told investigators she suffocated her 13-year-old daughter when the girl wouldn’t take prescription narcotic drugs. The other children, ages 3, 5 and 8, were treated at a hospital and released.
According to police, Villa said her motive was that she didn’t want her ex-husband to have custody of the children.
Voyles said Villa is charged with two versions of murder. One accuses her of premeditated murder while the other accuses her of murder while committing another crime, child abuse.
April Elliott, a public defender representing Villa, said her client will plead not guilty when she is arraigned Friday. Elliott declined further comment.
Villa was arrested Dec. 29 after she was released from a Phoenix hospital, where she was taken on Christmas for treatment of what police believe were self-inflicted stab wounds.
Police were sent to Connie Villa’s home on Christmas after the ex-husband, Adam Villa, called 911 to report he’d been stabbed. He suffered non-life-threatening wounds.
Villa remains jailed without bond.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food