PHOENIX — Authorities announced Sunday they have made an arrest in connection with the Dec. 25 death of a 13-year-old girl in Casa Grande.
Connie Villa, 35, was arrested Sunday morning at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix. She was charged with one count of first degree murder and four counts of attempted murder.
Villa is the mother of Aniarael Macias, 13, who was found dead in the bathroom of her home on Christmas Day.
Thomas Anderson of the Casa Grande Police Department said Adam Villa, 33, called police Dec. 25 claiming he had been stabbed repeatedly in the upper torso by his ex-wife. He drove himself to a hospital.
When police arrived at the home, Connie refused to open the door and officers had to force their way in, according to Anderson. Once inside, they found Connie holding a knife to her chest and suffering from stab wounds.
A short time later, officers found Connie’s oldest daughter, Aniarael, dead in a bathroom.
Anderson said investigators believe Connie forced her younger children, ages 3, 5, and 8, to take prescription narcotic drugs in an attempt to kill them. Those children are in the hospital in stable condition, police said. Initial tests showed trace amounts of opiates in their systems.
Aniarael’s body had no visible signs of injury or trauma, and an autopsy report was
inconclusive on the cause of death, Anderson said.
Authorities are awaiting toxicology results, which could take up to a month,
but they believe the teen was likely poisoned.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier