PHOENIX — Authorities announced Sunday they have made an arrest in connection with the Dec. 25 death of a 13-year-old girl in Casa Grande.
Connie Villa, 35, was arrested Sunday morning at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix. She was charged with one count of first degree murder and four counts of attempted murder.
Villa is the mother of Aniarael Macias, 13, who was found dead in the bathroom of her home on Christmas Day.
Thomas Anderson of the Casa Grande Police Department said Adam Villa, 33, called police Dec. 25 claiming he had been stabbed repeatedly in the upper torso by his ex-wife. He drove himself to a hospital.
When police arrived at the home, Connie refused to open the door and officers had to force their way in, according to Anderson. Once inside, they found Connie holding a knife to her chest and suffering from stab wounds.
A short time later, officers found Connie’s oldest daughter, Aniarael, dead in a bathroom.
Anderson said investigators believe Connie forced her younger children, ages 3, 5, and 8, to take prescription narcotic drugs in an attempt to kill them. Those children are in the hospital in stable condition, police said. Initial tests showed trace amounts of opiates in their systems.
Aniarael’s body had no visible signs of injury or trauma, and an autopsy report was
inconclusive on the cause of death, Anderson said.
Authorities are awaiting toxicology results, which could take up to a month,
but they believe the teen was likely poisoned.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick